Friday, June 29, 2007

A Destined Course

Bob Sloan, a man from Ohio, was convicted of second degree homicide. Bob has had no prior convictions. He was drinking and driving that morning when he hit a motorcyclist who had 4 priors for reckless driving. No doubt that each was at fault. Bob is serving a 7 year prison sentence and is in poor health nearing the age of 60. I work with his wife, Barb Sloan. I have communicated with him several times through letters and he has written me a poem that I can't get out of my mind. The poem seems to portray a man who lives life to the fullfest with great anticipation and achieves great things without God, but later realizes his lot was to believe and become one with God. In the end, after all is said and done, a destined course God has wove through our wanderings and in our return to Him. This is by Bob Sloan:

LOOKING BACK
Me, myself
And also I
Though we might
Traverse the sky
We climbed and climbed
The perfect blue
Stopping to rest
On a cloud or two
Sun to moon
We made our way
Among the stars
We'd hoped to stay

Yet, we travelled
On and on
This way, that way
Here, then yon

Narrowed gates
And widened paths
Lightness - darkness
Feast and fast
Temptation's guilt
Greed's remorse
We weaved our way
A destined course

There to find
It would be done
Never three
I was - but one
So - as it came
It was to be
The Father , the SON
The Spirit and me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Though I have never meet Bob face to face I know that he is a good man that made a bad decision... I pray for Barb and Bob everyday as they have both given me more than they will ever know...